Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Music+Me

I have decided that it's that time again, I compose a list of music that I'm in love with, and that gets me through.  I did this before, a while ago.  Times have changed.



Fleet Foxes to me are nearly as nescessary as water.  This is one of the bands that I listen to on a daily basis, and one of the bands that can actually lull me to sleep.  They have this weird sort of meloncholic, melodic value to them that instantly puts me at ease.  Blue Ridge Mountains is my favourite song by them.


Rural Alberta Advantage is a band I happened upon this year, I fell in love with them instatly.  Don't Haunt This Place is one of my all time favourite songs.  I love the words, and the way the song is sung.  I can honestly listen to their album at anytime and love it.


Great Lake Swimmers... where do I even begin?  This is band makes me want to live my life.  I had a hard time choosing a song by them to post.  Put There by The Land just happens to be the one I last listened to.

Embedding was disabled for this video, so click here.
Bon Iver.  You know, it's funny... I hated Bon Iver the first time I heard him.  Seriously (some of my really close friends right now are going "WHAT!?").  I thought it was the most annoying music I had ever heard.  But then, one night I was trying to fall asleep... it was during a particularily horrible bout of insomnia, and Bon Iver came on my shuffle.  I have many favourite bands, but I had never felt the way Bon Iver made me feel when I was listening to his music.  It's just like every thought or worry  I had got lost in the melodies and his strange, strange voice.  It actually made my heart beat all wonky.  After this, Bon Iver just became my band (I know, he's not a band he's just Justin Vernon).  I cant fully describe what this means, but I can just listen to Bon Iver at anytime, and it's like magic.  I am calm, or I am happy, or I am sleeping, or whatever.  I can just get lost.  I love it.
Some more Bon Iver... just because.

***

***

This is all you really need to know, to know me.

Peace, love, and music,
Sam.

1 comment:

Loveless said...

It's uncommon for me to hear a song and like it instantly. Songs usually need to grow on me. But this one, this was one of those rare songs that I love instantly. Rural Alberta Advantage, I've gotta check out more of their stuff.